FiveThirtyEight is looking for a caring, collaborative and creative individual Senior Visual Journalist to join our Interactives and Graphics team. Senior Visual Journalists are the design leaders in the FiveThirtyEight newsroom. While primarily serving as individual contributors, they also amplify the work of the team by mentoring more junior visual journalists, giving and receiving thoughtful feedback, and leading by example. We are looking for a seasoned reporter who will exercise keen judgment on news, bring a keen eye for detail and hold our work to the highest standards.
The Senior Visual Journalist will report to either the Associate Editor, Interactives and Graphicsor the Editor-in-chief for Interactif and work closely with the rest of the Interactives team as well as reporters and editors in the newsroom. This full-time position with benefits is a United States-based position. Full-time remote work can be considered, but since our offices are in New York, we prefer candidates based in the area.
If you have any questions, please email Associate Editor Chris Groskopf. To apply, submit a cover letter and resume through the Disney Careers portal.
- Produce highly polished and visually impactful stories and projects that attract, excite and engage our readers
- Lead the design process for our larger projects, including creating principles, specifications and other documents to delegate work to the team
- Contribute to a production rotation of the daily charts and “second” less experienced visual journalists
- Inspire, coach and guide teammates and colleagues in their visual work
- Participate in broader strategic conversations about visual style, site design, branding, accessibility and more
- Give thoughtful and candid feedback to peers, colleagues and managers and receive it openly in turn
- Three or more years of relevant experience
- Proficiency in design software, especially Adobe Illustrator
- Proficiency in basic statistics – for example, a conversational understanding of concepts such as margin of error and regression analysis
- Willingness to collaborate with other visual journalists, IT journalists, reporters and editors in the newsroom
- Experience working on time
- Five or more years of relevant experience
- A solid understanding of American politics, particularly electoral politics, major sports and/or science in the United States
- Experience with statistical programming languages, such as R
- Experience with cartography and mapping tools, such as QGIS and TopoJSON
- Experience applying product design techniques to large journalism projects, such as user research, rapid prototyping, and user testing
Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply even if they do not meet all qualifications.
Qualified but ready for a new challenge? We are also recruiting an editor for Interactives.
ABC News and FiveThirtyEight are equal opportunity employers. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status protected.