Vice-President of Government Relations and Public Affairs
National Strategies (NSI) is seeking a Vice President of Government Relations and Public Affairs on behalf of one of its very successful and rapidly growing clients. The client is in the dietary supplement industry and faces significant federal and state regulatory pressures. The VP will report to the client’s legal director, but will work closely with the client’s founder and the rest of the management team. The successful candidate will lead the development and execution of the client’s federal, state and international government affairs function. The role will be supported by a team of external consultants, including leading federal and state lobbying firms as well as public relations / public affairs firms. The VP will lead the client’s public relations firms to develop strategy, guarantees, media and messaging to modify current narratives to support client goals. The Vice President will be the voice of the client on all matters and matters relating to the client’s regulatory and legislative program at the federal and state levels, including those aimed at expanding their category and advancing their interests and those of their clients. Working closely with the client’s internal and external science team, the Vice President will develop strategies to advance and use science to ensure understanding of the mass market and key stakeholders in security, safety and security. value and use in improving health outcomes for consumers. The successful candidate will be driven, strategic, have an extensive network and significant experience in government relations and public affairs, and will have a powerful and outgoing personality who helps create, maintain and lead networks quickly. The vice president should not be afraid to take on complex challenges to advance seemingly impossible missions.
- • Lead, develop and implement an integrated government and public relations strategy to support the client’s business interests in the United States and globally.
- • Develop a long-term government relations strategy in partnership with other senior executives and external strategic partners.
- • Build and maintain strong relationships and a sophisticated network with government officials, legislative offices, industry partners and relevant opinion leaders to influence public discourse in support of client interests.
- • Represent the client before Congress, federal government, state and local governments and other related organizations on matters related to the client’s business, advocating for the results sought by the organization.
- • Serve as a critical opinion leader for the client on any development in the government market.
- • Strengthen the client’s presence in Washington DC and create a national platform on which the client’s positions can be articulated.
- • Provide leadership and supervision of the launch of projects that will have a positive impact on the client’s relationship with decision-makers.
- • Work collaboratively and cross-functionally to ensure message discipline and policy consistency.
- • Create a library of original thought leadership content that can be used to communicate the client’s brand value proposition to internal and external stakeholders.
- • Represent the client’s interests and advance their political interests with relevant professional associations and advocacy groups.
- • Ten or more years of combined related experience in government affairs, health or public policy, preferably working with the founder / entrepreneur and the global team.
- • Preference for experience in using science to advance government relations goals.
- • Experience in managing complex problems.
- • History of successfully navigating and influencing members of Congress, their staff, administration officials and political staff of relevant federal agencies, such as the FDA, HHS, and NIDA to achieve desired results.
- • Demonstrated experience (or success) of working in a bipartisan fashion to achieve results.
- • Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with government decision makers and influencers.
- • Solid experience building teams and coalitions, including working with federal and state lobby groups as well as public affairs and public relations firms.
- • Impeccable reputation with a strong commitment to the ethics of Congress and the executive.
- • Provide a consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of importance.
- • Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- • Must reside in the DC zone.
- • Very strong references, to which you have reported, which confirm your suitability for this position.
Preference given to candidates who have experience in:
- • Work in government relations leadership in the pharmaceutical industry on controversial issues AND / OR lead significant legislative or regulatory achievements in the cannabis / alcohol / vaping industry.
- • Extensive experience developing and leading public relations / public affairs nationwide.
- • Experience in legislation or regulation on pharmaceuticals or dietary supplements.
In this role, you will lead the creation of customer and category value. You will be rewarded with a generous base salary, an aggressive and real profit-sharing program, and a significant stake in a relatively short-term targeted lucrative exit. You will work hard but be very well rewarded. Medical benefits will be provided as well as 3 weeks vacation.