Pedestrian group (Winner – Publishing House of the Year, Mumbrella Publish Awards 2021) is looking for a Style & Beauty Editor to be part of the continued growth of Refinery29 AustraliaAustralia’s leading publication for women and underrepresented people.
Reporting to the Managing Editor of Refinery29 Australia, the successful candidate will be well-versed in all things style and beauty, and the intricate ways fashion and beauty intersect with identity, culture and self-expression. . We are looking for a strong writer who has endless ideas and is inspired to try new things. The style and beauty writer will be delighted to rethink the way we cover these topics through a hyper-local lens for Refinery29 Australia audiences through a mix of original features, columns, personal essays and content of purchase.
Our dream candidate will be passionate about making fashion and beauty a space where all women and people of diverse genders see and feel represented. They’ll be as comfortable ordering a story about natural hair care for black women as they search TikTok for beauty hacks about to explode, investigate how fashion can light up the political questions or interviewing an expert on a trendy skincare ingredient.
The Style & Beauty Editor will:
- Write 2-3 stories a day
- Work with the Managing Editor and Managing Editor to set the agenda for coverage of Refinery29 conversations on style and beauty trends
- Conceptualize unique ways to cover the biggest style, beauty and lifestyle stories of the day “the Refinery29 way,” moving the conversation forward at every turn
- Develop and maintain an incredible network of contributors who reflect Australia’s diversity
- Write, present and edit copy quickly and accurately under tight deadlines
- Source and embed products in style and gallery-style assets
- Support business partnerships by participating in brainstorming as needed and creating editorial packages that help generate sales revenue
- Interview the most interesting names in style, beauty and lifestyle, both globally and locally
- Represent Refinery29 at industry events as needed
- Refinery29 Australia social media platform content including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter
The position requires someone with:
- 2+ years of experience writing fashion and/or beauty content, ideally with some mixed comments and opinions
- Positive, intuitive/proactive and collaborative team player
- Superior judgment and discretion
- In-depth understanding of the diversity and intersectionality of young polycultural audiences
- Strong industry contacts or a desire to forge strong relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
This is a full-time position based in the Pedestrian Group offices in Sydney or Melbourne.
If this sounds like your dream job, send us your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’re the perfect fit.
Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women and underrepresented voices, with a global audience of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programs, shareable social content and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish life. and informed. Please visit Refinery29 Australia for more information and to browse content. You can also visit our other international editions, including the US, UK, France and Germany.
*About the pedestrian group*
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-focused publisher, reaching a unique audience of over 4.16 million Australians per month, and more 18-39 year olds than any other publisher. It is home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia and Kotaku Australia, as well as outdoor cinemas. It is 100% owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.