The Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) is an independent, not-for-profit, scientific research organization supported only by property and casualty insurers and reinsurers who conduct business or reinsure risk in the United States.
IBHS’ mission is to break the cycle of human suffering that strikes families and communities as a result of severe weather events. As the impacts of climate change drive more and more extreme weather events, the need to improve our current and future infrastructure is evident. Through our ongoing research, our team of scientists and risk communicators provide strategies to improve modern building codes, leading to safer and stronger homes and businesses. IBHS’s practical solutions enable the insurance industry and affected owners to prevent avoidable losses.
IBHS is looking for a cross-platform Science Producer to create compelling stories of our scientific research and company initiatives to foster greater weather resilience in our homes and businesses. This position will be hosted within our Product Design team and will work across the organization with the IBHS Research and Media teams. The successful candidate will generate compelling and dynamic visual content for multiple media platforms.
These productions should bring viewers to the perils of mother nature, such as wind, wind-driven rain, hail and wildfires, highlighting IBHS research investigating their impact on our built environment. . Content should also seek to share the stories of people who have been affected by disaster or who have benefited from education and mitigation strategies, such as those developed here at IBHS. The candidate should seek to engage a variety of audiences ranging from members of the insurance industry to resilience leaders and the public.
Potential candidates should demonstrate experience that may relate to one or more of these broad areas:
• Excellent ability to visualize abstract concepts and develop them into story ideas
• Enlightened interest in science and technology
• Experience with content management systems
• Ability to work with diverse teams to develop content
• Experience in short storytelling for digital platforms, long storytelling experience an asset
• Experience in a media production environment
• Potential candidates should possess these basic skills:
• Excellent knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
• Experience in creating dynamic presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint
• Knowledge of the latest visual trends, editing techniques and ability to develop new techniques
• Hyper social engagement and understanding of the digital space and its audience
• BS in Atmospheric Science or related field with broadcast and production experience. BA in Communications, Mass Communications, Journalism, Mass Media, Digital Media, or BFA with experience in science and technology production and communication
• Excellent time management skills and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements or current events
• Strong writing skills (broadcast and print styles, both a plus)
• Health insurance
• Life insurance
The position is based in the Charlotte metropolitan area of the Carolinas and housed at the IBHS Research Center in Richburg, SC. We are a fully vaccinated facility. In addition, we participate in the e-verify program.
Interested applicants should provide a CV and cover letter to Amanda Dotter ([email protected]), and if available, please include links to your recent work.