Rustthe ill-fated western which shut down late last year following the on-set death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, is due to resume production in January 2023.
After the Hutchins family filed a wrongful death lawsuit in February, the estate reached a settlement with the film’s producers and Alec Baldwin.
The star and producer unloaded a prop gun he was told was ‘cold’ during a rehearsal on October 21, 2021. Hutchins was hit and the 42-year-old cinematographer later died during the day.
Hutchins’ husband, Matthew Hutchins, released a statement on Wednesday (October 5th) that read, “We have reached a settlement, subject to court approval, in our wrongful death case against the producers of ‘Rust,’ including including Alec Baldwin and Rust Movie Productions, LLC. . As part of this settlement, our case will be rejected.
Hutchins will now serve as executive producer on the production and said director Joel Souza and the original cast will return. Production took place at Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Writing on Instagram, Baldwin said: “We are pleased to announce today the settlement of the civil case filed on behalf of the family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. Throughout this difficult process, everyone has maintained a specific desire to do what is best for Halyna’s son. We are grateful to all those who contributed to the resolution of this tragic and painful situation.
As of this writing, the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office has not submitted its report to New Mexico prosecutors.