SUMMARY OF POSITION
Reporting to the Executive Director of Garden River First Nation, the Manager of Public Works is responsible for the planning and maintenance of the project for the Public Works Department. The Manager of Public Works operates within the framework of legislative requirements, regulations, policies and procedures and the mission, beliefs and vision of the Garden River First Nation, and contributes to the achievement of strategic priorities.
• Oversee the supervision and seasonal maintenance of community roads and GRFN car parks to ensure that all roads meet GRFN standards and repair them if necessary
• Plan the work schedule of public works teams on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis in accordance with identified priorities and approved budgets
• Receiving calls and assigning direction on all public works issues
• Work on the future development of the Garden River First Nation regarding anything related to exterior planning (eg, subdivisions, water improvements, roads, grade crossing improvements)
• Respond to all public concerns in a friendly and professional manner
• Supervision of all Public Works personnel, including coordination and planning, training, etc.
• Obtain quotes, recommend selection and supervise all subcontractors performing work for the public works department
• Attend all necessary meetings involving areas of responsibility (eg chief and council, government agencies, utility companies, relevant audience, other program managers, etc.)
• Administer the public works operating budget and help prepare the annual budget
• Conduct, at a minimum, annual performance reviews for all Public Works employees, ensuring that Garden River First Nation objectives are met by all program staff.
• Initiate a recruitment process based on the needs of the Program, and in collaboration with Human Resources; participate in the selection process
• Liaise and correspond with various government agencies regarding various special projects and other annual programs delivered to Garden River First Nation
• Ensure employees follow established security policies and procedures, rules and regulations
• Perform other duties as may be required or assigned
• Completion of grade 12 completed with post-secondary education in construction, civil engineering or related field
• Three years of related experience required
• Related skills including basic Canada Labor Code training, Canada Labor Code health and safety committee training, WHMIS, first aid,
• Demonstrated awareness and knowledge of First Nations cultural values and traditions
• Ability to use good judgment to assess difficult situations
• Ability to be consistent and display a positive / helpful attitude
• Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
• Excellent organizational skills, time management skills, interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
• Excellent computer skills including MS Word, Excel, Internet, email and Outlook
• Must undergo a criminal record check before hiring (at the applicant’s expense)
* For a copy of the complete job description, please email [email protected] and one can be forwarded *
Interested candidates can email or drop off their cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae, three work-related references by December 9, 2021 at 4.30 p.m. Please address the envelope and / or e-mail “PW Manager – 2021-100” and submit to:
Garden River First Nation
7 Shingwauk Street, Garden River, ON P6A 6Z8
Email: [email protected]
COME JOIN A GROWING AND DYNAMIC ORGANIZATION OFFERING REWARDING CAREERS AND AN EXCEPTIONAL WORK ENVIRONMENT FOR PEOPLE COMMITTED TO MAKING A DIFFERENCE FOR KETEGAUNSEEBEE.
Publication date: November 25, 2021