COVID-19 emergency laws revoked without consent of King of Malaysia, MPs ‘misled’: Palace



KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) – Malaysian King Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah has not given consent to revoke COVID-19 emergency orders, the national palace said in a statement Thursday July 29.

The original agreement was to table and debate the quashing of the ordinances at the current special meeting of parliament, the statement said.

This came after de facto Law Minister Takiyuddin Hassan announced on Monday that the multi-month state of emergency would not be extended beyond August 1.

He also said that the six emergency ordinances introduced during the emergency period, which began on January 12, were revoked and canceled by the government on July 21, after a cabinet meeting the same day.

Opposition politicians asked the minister if the king had consented to the dismissal, but Mr Takiyuddin said he would answer related questions next Monday.

Thursday’s statement, released by Palace Comptroller Ahmad Fadil Shamsuddin, read: “Section 150 (2B), read in conjunction with Section 150 (3) of the Federal Constitution, clearly confers the power to declare and revoke ordinances with His Majesty.

READ: More than 17,000 new COVID-19 cases in Malaysia for second day in a row, intensive care numbers hit new high

“In this context, Her Majesty is deeply saddened by the declaration made in parliament on July 26 that the government revoked all emergency ordinances proclaimed by Her Majesty during the entire period of the state of emergency, while the revocation was not granted by Her Majesty. “

The palace said the king was disappointed that his prior consent to the suggestion to table and debate emergency ordinances in parliament had not been implemented.

Consent was given during an online hearing granted to Mr. Takiyuddin and Attorney General Idrus Harun on July 24, he added.

“Her Majesty pointed out that the Minister’s statement to Parliament on July 26 is not accurate and has misled MPs.”

Malaysian Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin delivers remarks during an extraordinary session of the Dewan Rakyat (House of Representatives) in Parliament in Kuala Lumpur on July 26, 2021, meeting for the first time since January after being suspended due to an emergency COVID-19. (Photo: AFP / Malaysian Department of Public Information / Handout)

The king was of the opinion that the hasty dismissal and the “contradictory and misleading†declaration in parliament had failed to respect the rule of law enshrined in the Rukun Negara (National Principles), while also diminishing the function and powers of the king as the head of state, the statement said.

While acknowledging that he must act on the basis of Cabinet advice, he believed that as head of state he has a responsibility to advise against unconstitutional acts committed by any party, especially those that put in jeopardy. works the functions and powers of the king. , adds the press release.

Following the palace statement, opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim filed a motion of censure in parliament, while the United Malay National Organization (UMNO) called for Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin to resign.

The prime minister’s office said the measures taken by the government to revoke emergency orders were in line with the country’s laws and constitution.

The current five-day special parliamentary meeting, which began on Monday, was expected to pave the way for a possible hybrid parliamentary session.

This is the first time lawmakers have met in Dewan Rakyat after the state of emergency was declared in January.

READ: Malaysia expects most states to enter final phase of COVID-19 stimulus package as early as October, PM Muhyiddin said

During the meeting, Muhyiddin and other ministers were expected to brief parliamentarians on the government’s response to COVID-19 and stimulus plans.

Following the briefings, parliamentarians were allowed to seek clarification and give their opinion, ending with ministers responding to questions they had raised.

On Thursday afternoon, the Parliament building was closed after it was announced that two cases of COVID-19 had been detected there. All lawmakers were screened while proceedings were postponed.

The parliament meeting was then adjourned until 5:15 p.m. when Vice President Mohd Rashid Hasnon said two more cases of COVID-19 were detected. It will resume next Monday.

MARK THIS: Our Comprehensive Coverage of the COVID-19 Pandemic and Its Developments

To download our application or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak:



About Author

Leave A Reply