New York, New York, United StatesLocation:
Wed 11 May ’22Posted on:
DVDL is an agency of innovators and strategists working at the intersection of cultural analysis and human behavior. We believe that all organizations should, at their core, be people-first. We use our expertise to develop strategies, models and concepts that focus on the future of communities, cities, businesses or cultural institutions by helping our clients focus their work on the people and issues that are dear to them. We stay tuned to ensure our customers understand current trends as they develop, rather than playing the perpetual catch-up game. Whether for a museum, an architect, a brand, a district or a public space: we help to move forward and innovate.
We are a growing team of New York-based and remote staff, as well as freelance talent. We are passionate about creating inclusive, hybrid, interdisciplinary, flexible and contextual programs for institutions and buildings that can connect and grow with diverse audiences, opportunities and challenges. Our clients range from museums, universities, art fairs and libraries to cities, parks, developers, architects and art collectors.
We are currently looking for a highly motivated Communications Manager to thrive and grow in this new role at DVDL. Working closely with David van der Leer and our internal team, this person will lead business development as well as communications and marketing content.
The scope of responsibilities includes a wide range of tasks related to digital communications, marketing, business development and media relations. The Communications Manager will drive content and messaging strategy across a variety of mediums including e-mail campaigns, social media, print, video, etc. Working with staff, partners and stakeholders, he will develop communication objectives and a messaging strategy, and identify the best tactics for delivering this information. Their goal is to educate, inform and motivate the public, while directing the company’s marketing objectives. The ideal candidate is passionate about architecture, the urban environment, place-making, cultural institutions, visual arts and culture, and has a deep interest in the culture of the future. The position requires excellent content development skills, autonomy with proven organizational, graphic and writing skills, as well as a clear and
professional communication skills within a team, with clients and people in our network.
This position will work closely with the Senior Director and General Manager on all communications and marketing activities, including strategy, new business proposals, press enquiries, press releases, conferences, awards and other corporate activities. external awareness:
Develop and execute a business development strategy for different professional fields and geographic markets
Identify new business opportunities (organizations and individuals)
· With the Principal and team members, represent the agency to potential and existing clients
· Develop proposals for clients
· Research, coordinate and produce highly customized responses, presentations, portfolios and brochures to RFPs and RFPs.
· Write and edit fact sheets, firm and staff biographies and project descriptions for firm brochures, proposals, press, social media and all publications.
· Maintain digital image library and other collateral marketing assets.
· Maintain and update company website including projects, news and press updates.
· Research, write and produce an internal blog/newsletter in collaboration with external writers and researchers
· Implement a social media strategy across multiple platforms and perform performance analysis.
· Oversee the maintenance of the DVDL contact database
Organize the speakers and writers bureau, recruitment of new voices, education and training of people speaking and writing on behalf of our organization
· In collaboration with DVDL project teams, develop statements on the direction of the future and provide recommendations to clients
· Partner with outreach staff members on support events and speakers.
Prepare content/material for external meetings and speaking engagements (i.e. research briefing notes, speeches, PowerPoint presentations, talking points, etc.)
Develop and maintain relationships with journalists (local and national) who focus on campaign issues
· Residency required in New York (preferred), Pennsylvania or Florida only.
Bachelor’s degree in architecture, architectural history, urban design, art history, visual studies, English, communication, journalism or related field
2 years of relevant experience, preferably in an architecture or design firm, museum or art space
Experience in writing and producing successful RFPs
· Effective communicator both orally and in writing
Ambitious autodidact who takes initiative, is comfortable multi-tasking and easily navigates a fast-paced environment managing concurrent deadlines, and collaborates effectively in a team environment
High attention to detail – visual and written accuracy and precision required
Independent, autonomous and resourceful in their creative abilities
Very collaborative and experience working with a wide range of people and clients
· Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism and flexibility
Excellent graphic design skills – especially InDesign as well as the full Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator)
· Proficiency in MailChimp, Word Press, HTML and social media platforms.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as Google Workspace
· Experience working with architectural firms, museums, art spaces, exhibition design or other cultural institutions
· Affinity with the creation of places, public space and cultural institutions
Experience with public presentations such as councils and client groups
Art/architecture writing background
Working hours and benefits
This is a full time position. The Communications Manager will work remote/hybrid 5 days a week. We provide industry-standard holidays, vacations, and sick days; and offer health and dental insurance for positions over 20 hours/week.
At DVDL, we believe that all organizations should, at their core, be people-first, including ours. We embrace diversity, equity and inclusion and are committed to building a team with a variety of backgrounds, skills and perspectives. Cultivating a culture of inclusion isn’t just the right thing to do, it’s also the smart thing. We know that having diverse experiences and perspectives helps generate better insights and perspectives for our changing and increasingly interdependent world.
Accepting applications by email only. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, curriculum vitae or CV and writing sample in a single PDF file to [email protected] with the subject line “Communications Manager”. Due to the volume of receipts, only qualified applicants will be contacted. Salary is commensurate with experience.
View your application history