BSC uses design, engineering, science and technology to build, support and connect. At BSC, we work in partnership with our clients to provide creative and practical solutions in transportation, land use planning and the environment. Clients trust BSC to work with them to expertly guide implementation, strategically navigate regulatory processes, and design a holistic infrastructure to help them achieve their vision.
BSC engineers, planners and scientists pride themselves on their ability to respond with agility to move projects forward. We solve complex challenges by applying expertise across disciplines, sharing ideas and perspectives to see a project from all angles.
The purpose of our work is to improve the quality of life in and around our communities by using our skills and experience to promote balance between the built and natural environment. Proudly employee-owned, our people are the heart of our business.
BSC has served customers throughout New England since 1965. The BSC Group’s ongoing commitment to building our business, supporting our customers and connecting with our communities, has resulted in our listing as an ENR Top 500 Design Firm.
Working at BSC:
BSC uses design, engineering, science and technology to build, support and connect with our colleagues and our communities. We recognize different individual passions and perspectives and strive to inspire and empower each other to create meaningful change. As trusted advisors and neighbors, our team is personally involved in each of our actions. We remain focused on diversity, sustainability and social responsibility in the services we provide to our customers.
BSC is currently looking for a Climate Resilience Engineer/Designer with 5 to 10 years of experience. The candidate for this position will join a high-performing team that provides clients with multi-disciplinary engineering and scientific solutions for flood risk reduction, urban heat mitigation, green infrastructure and resiliency solutions coastal, among others. The responsibilities of this position include both directing and supporting the development and technical execution of projects within BSC’s offices in Massachusetts, NH and CT. The position can be based in any of the BSC offices in Massachusetts, NH or CT.
A successful team member must:
- Passionate about seeking, sharing and applying new knowledge and skills to improve individual, team and business performance.
- Commit to continuous improvement and lifelong learning (look for opportunities to work outside your comfort zone).
- Maintain a high level of ethics, respect and fairness with your BSC team, clients and communities.
- Have the courage and strength to show character. Bring your whole being to work!
The ideal candidate for this position will have technical experience in developing and designing approaches for resilience and adaptation to climate change. Candidate must be a licensed or registered professional engineer in MA, NH, or CT, and have the ability to acquire licenses in other New England states. As a technical expert, the candidate will work with a team of interdependent professionals dedicated to providing high-level expertise on a wide range of climate resilience projects, including infrastructure and social vulnerability analysis, planning , community awareness and education, design and implementation.
To note: Exceptional candidates of any level of experience will be considered. Only CVs accompanied by a cover letter will be considered.
Main job responsibilities
- Assist in the development of statements of qualifications and proposals for pursuing projects related to climate resilience and adaptation.
- Manage and execute resilience strategy development, including technical analyzes and preliminary and detailed design of flood barriers, structural flood protection, green infrastructure, living shorelines, coastal restoration, systems stormwater control and other related resiliency solutions.
- Use state and federal tools and methodologies to design future climate scenarios.
- Provide technical expertise in support of community plans, outreach and education for climate adaptation and resilience projects.
- Engage with clients and project stakeholders, including participation in project presentations and written deliverables.
- Manage projects (scope, budget, schedule) and work with sub-consultants and BSC team members and ensure quality control of work throughout project execution, including:
- all aspects of the design and authorization of climate resilience measures;
- analysis and design of flood mitigation and adaptation structures and systems, including the use of gray and green infrastructure;
- perform/revise technical analyses/calculations;
- preparation of project specifications, tender documents and contracts;
- administration of construction contracts; and
- site inspections and reports.
- Demonstrated technical and analytical skills, including technical writing and presentation skills.
- Familiarity with industry standard analysis and design software including but not limited to AutoCAD/Civil 3D, PCSWMM and HydroCAD.
Preferred knowledge, skills and abilities
- Demonstrated skills for teamwork and leadership.
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams including surveyors, environmental scientists, structural engineers, civil engineers, landscape architects and urban planners.
- Experience integrating sea level rise, precipitation, extreme heat and other climate change projections into project design.
- Knowledge of state and federal risk mitigation and climate resilience programs such as FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program, Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC), and Mitigation Assistance risks.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with a specialization in civil, environmental or coastal engineering or a related field. Favorite master.
- Proven experience delivering projects for multiple federal, state, and local agencies/clients, specific experience with USACE, FEMA, USGS, NOAA strongly preferred.
- Experience or interest in sustainable design and construction an asset.
We understand that every member of the BSC team is unique, as are the definitions of work-life balance. Some of our team members are 100% remote and some enjoy an office environment. However, the majority of BSC’s workforce is adopting a hybrid model, which allows people to work from home, on construction sites and in other remote locations, as well as in any of our offices if necessary. .
BSC is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diverse representation on our teams, in our departments and at all levels of leadership. We are focused on identifying and dismantling the barriers that lead to a more diverse workforce, including working diligently to expose underrepresented groups to engineering, science and design through STEM programs, education and outreach, and industry engagement. We continue to strive to maximize benefits for the communities we impact through diversity and inclusion in strategy and design.